Internal Program Transfer (IPT) is available to current undergraduate students. IPT enables you to move from one program to another within UNSW, without having to apply again through UAC. IPT is a free service for UNSW undergraduate students.
IPT enables you to transfer:
- from one program to another
(e.g. from a BE to a BSc), or
- between single degree and double degree programs.
Note: To change your stream of study (specialisation) within the same program, please instead use the Stream Declaration service.
The eligibility criteria varies for programs across UNSW. While many coursework programs are available for IPT, some programs that have other selection processes or criteria, such as undergraduate Medicine, won't be available.
To use the IPT service, you must be:
- an undergraduate student.
- currently enrolled or on official program leave from UNSW. This excludes discontinued, excluded, suspended or lapsed enrolments.
- a commonwealth-supported domestic student or an international student.
- not in your final term of study. If you're in your final term, contact the relevant Program Authority directly.
- over 18 years old. If you are under 18, contact The Nucleus: Student Hub to complete your application.
Your eligibility depends on:
- your Weighted Average Mark (WAM) in your current program or your overall studies at UNSW
- the units of credit (UOC) you have completed and/or are enrolled in
- your being of GOOD academic standing
- you having no fee blocks, e.g. outstanding tuition fees
- places being available in the program to which you want to transfer
- compliance with the academic rules of the program you wish to transfer to. See Program availability for specific academic requirements.
Conditions and requirements
- One program application per term is permitted,
- Not all programs will be available for transfer in each term.
- You must apply within the advertised application period. No late applications will be considered.
- As there is a specified period in which applications are assessed and a decision made, that decision cannot be delayed – i.e. it cannot be made after the assessment period has closed. Similarly, there is no provision for considering late results.
- You must satisfy the academic rules of the program you wish to transfer to. See Program availability for specific academic requirements
When and how to apply
Generally, you can apply in all 3 terms, but some programs are not able to accept internal program transfers in every term. See Program availability for more information.
The application periods are:
How and when can I accept my offer?
Your IPT application is assessed after the application period has closed.
The outcome of your application will be emailed to your UNSW Email account.
You cannot accept your offer outside the acceptance periods:
Important information for:
International student visa holders
Sponsored international students
Domestic commonwealth support students
Starting from January 1, 2021, the Australian Government introduced updated Student Contribution bands and costs per units of credit (how much you pay or defer to HELP-loans for your courses).
For most continuing students (who started before January 1, 2021), their Student Contribution amount is grandfathered (paid at the previous rate).
Accepting an Internal Program Transfer after January 1, 2021, may mean that your Student Contribution amount is paid at the updated 2021 rates, and not the grandfathered pre-2021 rates.
You can read our information page for details, but you can refer to these sections specifically regarding changing Programs:
- Any student who changes program after the commencement day of 1 January 2021. You must remain in your original program (where you began your studies prior to the commencement day of 1 January 2021) to remain eligible for the grandfathering arrangements;
- this includes moving from a dual/double/combined degree to a single degree. Any change to your program code due to a shift to or from single/dual/double/combined degrees will forfeit your eligibility for grandfathering of your tuition.
Use the links below to access programs available for IPT, application/eligibility requirements, and term availability.
Contacts for more information
For more information, please contact the relevant Program Authority.