What is stream declaration?

Many UNSW programs require you to select streams of study. Depending on your program these can include majors, minors or specialisations. Once you have selected a stream you need to follow a sequence of courses to complete it. The selection of your stream(s) is referred to as stream declaration.

Consult the Handbook to find what streams are available in your program and which courses you need to take to complete them.

How can I declare or change my stream?

Use the Stream Declaration service in myUNSW (sign-on required) to:

  • View your current stream
  • Declare your stream
  • Change your stream

Please note that not all programs use this service and you may need to contact your Program Authority directly. The Stream Declaration service will indicate if this is the case.

When can I declare or change my stream?

Aim to finalise your stream as early in your program as possible to avoid having to complete additional study. For some courses you may need to have declared a particular stream to enrol. Declaring your stream also helps Schools to plan the number of classes and room capacity required for each course.

In general the only time the stream declaration service is closed is from the start of Week 4 until the Census date of the relevant terms/semesters. If you have been identified as a potential graduand then you may also be unable to declare a stream using the Stream Declaration service.


For more information about your program and what streams may be available, please consult the Handbook or contact your Program Authority.

See also

Back to top