This page details what you and your guests need to do on graduation day, before the ceremony.
Please plan ahead and allow enough time to get to UNSW for your ceremony.
Getting to UNSW
Sydney ceremonies are held for Kensington and Paddington students at the Sir John Clancy Auditorium on the Kensington campus. This page mainly deals with Kensington campus ceremonies.
Other ceremonies are held at UNSW Canberra at the Australian Defence Force Academy (ADFA)
Parking is limited at UNSW Kensington campus. We encourage graduates and guests to take public transport. The UNSW High Street stop on the L2 light rail with services running between Circular Quay and Randwick is the closest stop to the Sir John Clancy Auditorium.
For service and timetable information:
- Phone the Transport Infoline on 131 500
- or Visit transportnsw.info
- For the latest information on traffic conditions visit www.livetraffic.com
Please be aware of changed traffic conditions near the UNSW Kensington Campus, particularly on High Street at Gate 9 where there is high pedestrian activity. We encourage all graduates and guests to use public transport to get to Kensington campus for graduation ceremonies.
Limited meter parking is available on campus. Enter through Gate 11, Botany Street or Gate 14, Barker Street (PDF). See also Kensington Campus Parking Map (PDF).
- Limited short-term meter parking is available on entry through all gates, in ground-level outdoor parking areas. You will need to download the CellOPark App to pay for parking. Go here for further information on parking at UNSW Kensington campus.
- A small number of disabled parking bays are available near the Clancy Auditorium. Enter through Gate 9 on High Street and immediately turn left. Other disabled parking is marked on the Accessibility and Parking Map.
- For morning graduation ceremonies during term, we recommend that graduates and their guests use public transport, as only limited parking is available on campus and in surrounding side streets.
- For afternoon and evening ceremonies there is some parking in surrounding streets, although some restrictions apply.
- Parking is unrestricted from 7.30pm in all UNSW permit holder spaces (excluding loading zones, reserve zones and ticketed parking zones).
- Guests - We advise guests to arrive 30 minutes prior to the graduation ceremony start time, to find their allocated seats.
- Graduates - Graduates must register at the Clancy Auditorium and be in their allocated seat 30 minutes before the start time of their ceremony.
Collect academic dress
Collect your academic dress from the Arc Grad Shop in the Mathews Rooms. Follow the signs for GOWN COLLECTION.
Arc staff will be available to help you from 8am for a 10am ceremony, and for 1 hour 30 minutes before the afternoon and evening ceremonies.
Leave belongings with guests
Please leave all your personal belongings with guests prior to registration.
Graduate registration and briefing
Enter the Clancy Auditorium through the front doors. The registration desk is on the right side of the foyer. Your seat will be allocated to you when you register.
Graduates must be gowned, registered and in their allocated seats in the auditorium 30 minutes before the ceremony starts.
Graduation staff will explain graduates' participation in the ceremony. Graduates must follow the instructions of staff during the ceremony.