UNSW holds any overpayments or credits in your student account, to be applied to your fees for the next semester or term.


You can request a refund of tuition fees if you have:

  • Overpaid your tuition fees or
  • Withdrawn from your studies before the relevant census date.

UNSW adheres to the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standards (DSS) and will, in all cases, attempt to return any credit back to the originating card or card/ account holder.

Refunds will only be made in Australian Dollars.

Overpayments will be held for a maximum of 6 years, after which the balance will be transferred to the Office of State Revenue.

How to check your current balance

If you are a current student of UNSW view 'My Current Liability' in your My Student Profile tab on myUNSW.

If your account is in credit you can use the Refund Request Form (PDF, 330 KB) to request the credit amount. Your refund may take up to four weeks to process.

Suspected fraudulent documentation

Where a student is suspected of providing fraudulent documentation, UNSW will consider the student account to be on hold until the investigation has concluded and a decision regarding the outcome of the investigation, has been communicated to the student.  No refund of any visa processing fee, application fee, tuition fee or deposit, will be made during the time the account is on hold.  It should be noted that any payments made may be found forfeit at the conclusion of the investigation.

Back to top