Contacts for:

Debt and payment queries

Student Debt and Payment Enquiries (for queries relating to a debt from a previous semester)

Sponsored Student Debt & Payment Enquiries

Study Abroad Student Debt and Payment Enquiries

(students on short term exchange or learning abroad)

General questions

The Student Financials Team is here to help all students - including domestic, international and offshore - with any aspect of financials:

Contact information: The Nucleus: Student Hub

Answers to frequent questions

Higher education providers use particular terminology to advise students on their financial status. An explanation of these terms can be found on our Terminology page.

What is my current liability?

Current Liability refers to the balance of your financial liabilities, including tuition fees, the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF), other fees, payment plans and student loans. It does not include Library fines. Your current liability is displayed in myUNSW in the centre column of your myUNSW My Student Profile tab.

Current Liability in Credit

If your current liability displays the word ‘credit’, this means that UNSW has received your payment and it will automatically be applied to your next term/semester fees, once your fee statement becomes available.

Course withdrawal

If you have been given financial concession for withdrawal from a course, this will be reflected in the balance shown here. If you had a deferred liability under HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP, we will advise the Department of Education and the ATO of the change to your liability.

Payment plan and student loan statements

The balance outstandng on your payment plan or student loan is included in the current liability amount, but it is not shown on your fee statement.  Please refer to your payment plan or loan statement for payment details and due dates.

All other amounts appear on your Fee Statement.

I have selected HECS-HELP as my preference - why do I still have a liability?

If you are eligible to defer your student contribution (tuition fees) to HECS-HELP, you can still make payments towards your student contribution, up until the census date of your enrolment. To assist this, your student contribution will remain as payable up until it is automatically deferred, after the census date.

You do not have to make a payment if you wish to defer your student contribution to HECS-HELP and have provided your Tax File Number (TFN). 

I filled in a HECS-HELP form, but my SSAF is still owing. Why?

SA-HELP is a separate HELP scheme from FEE-HELP and HECS-HELP, and you must complete a SA-HELP form to defer your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) charge. Please refer to here for eligibility regarding deferral of the SSAF.

SSAF is charged in all compulsory Terms/Semesters and carries a corresponding incurral date. Applications for SA-HELP must be received by the incurral date and cannot be applied retrospectively.

To access the SA-HELP form sign on to myUNSW (My Student Profile tab > My Student Services > Financials > Commonwealth Govt. Forms). If you believe you are eligible for SA-HELP and do not see the form please contact Student Financials at [email protected].


My employer is paying all/part of my fees. What do I need to give them?

If your employer is contributing to your tuition and fees you must provide them with two pieces of information from myUNSW:

  1. Your Fee Statement, including the Terms & Conditions page with the University ABN
  2. The Australia Post payment slip

The Australian Taxation Office has advised that the Fee Statement is sufficient for taxation purposes. It has the required University ABN and reference numbers. A Tax invoice is not necessary for claiming tuition fees.

Your employer can present your Australia Post payment slip at any Australia Post outlet, and make payment by credit card, EFTPOS or cheque.

A receipt will be issued by Australia Post on payment. Note: UNSW does not provide receipts. Receipts are only issued at the time of payment, by the entity receiving the payment. 

I have deferred my contribution/tuition fees under HELP. How can I pay these?

Once the census date for your course(s) has passed, eligible student who have chosen to defer their fees under HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or SA-HELP will no longer have the option to pay these upfront to the university. You must make payments directly to the Australian Taxation Office. You can find out how to make a voluntary payment towards your accumulated HELP debt here:

Note: HELP deferrals can take up to six months to be reported against your Tax File Number. 

What if I do not pay my fees by the payment due date?

Commonwealth supported students who do not pay their student contribution (tuition fees) by the relevant census date for their enrolment or do not provide a valid personal Tax File Number (TFN) if required will have their enrolment for that census date cancelled. You need to provide your TFN if:

  • you are eligible and want to take out a HECS-HELP loan for all or part of your student contribution, or
  • you are paying your student contribution up-front but, as a safety net, you want to ensure that if you fail to make the payment on or before the census date you can still obtain a HECS-HELP loan.

To find out if you are eligible to defer your student contribution charges under HECS-HELP, see the Australian Government information on StudyAssist

Commonwealth supported students who are subsequently permitted to be reinstated to the cancelled courses will be charged a reinstatement fee of $250 and will be charged at the domestic fee paying rate for their enrolment. No Commonwealth assistance will be available for the reinstated enrolment.

Domestic fee paying and international fee paying students who fail to finalise their tuition and related fees by the census date will receive a hold on their account, thereby preventing access to UNSW services.

UNSW strongly recommends students finalise their payments by the payment due date (found on your myUNSW Fee Statement) to avoid cancellation or incurring penalties on your account.

Credit card surcharge information

From 15 August 2023, students and payees may be liable for the surcharges applied on credit card payments at UNSW. This includes credit card transactions for all tuition fees, Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) payments, Graduations fees, well as for official documentation such as Transcripts and others.

The surcharge percentage will vary depending on the credit card issuer, e.g. Visa, MasterCard, American Express, etc. You will be able to see the surcharge amount at the point of payment.

For certain fee payments, there may be alternate payment methods such as BPay or Convera. Read more about alternate payment methods.

Fees debt

What happens if fees aren’t paid by the due date?

If you fail to pay your fees by the due date, you will not be permitted to enrol in any subsequent Term or Semester or to graduate (whichever is applicable), until you have fully paid your debt. You will also no longer be entitled to membership and privileges of the University. If you have an outstanding debt you will have a Denial of Services block placed on your student account, which will prevent you from accessing the services. Find out more

Tax and invoices

Fee statement general information

How do I add my Tax File Number (TFN) to my UNSW record?

If you are applying for a HECS-HELP loan you must provide UNSW with your Tax File Number (TFN) before the census date of the relevant teaching period.

Getting a TFN

You apply for a TFN at the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

Adding your TFN to your UNSW record

Add your TFN via the Commonwealth Government Forms Section on myUNSW (My Student Profile > My Student Services > Financials> Commonwealth Govt. Forms).

  1. Scroll down and select Update HECS-HELP Form
  2. Complete the application form and add your Tax File Number to the HECS-HELP Assistance page
  3. Select Save & Continue

How do I know what amounts UNSW has deferred to the ATO?

This information is available on your Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN), which is available on myUNSW within 28 days after the census date for each semester.

If you believe that your CAN is incorrect in any way, please contact the Student Financials Team at [email protected] or by telephone on +61 2 9385 8500.  You have 14 days from the date of the issue of your CAN to contact UNSW to request a check of your notice.  Please note that this time limit is determined by the Department for Education.

What do I use as an invoice for my employer / tax purposes?

Your UNSW Fee Statement.

The University of New South Wales (UNSW) recently consulted with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) regarding documentation required for students and employers to meet their obligations when submitting or claiming education expenses on tax returns.

The ATO requires a document that shows the following, all of which are on your UNSW Fee Statement:

  • Name of the supplier
  • Amount of the expense
  • Nature of the goods or services
  • Date the expense was incurred
  • Date of the document
  • Details identifying the individual student
  • Course information

If you require an invoice for taxation related purposes please access your latest Fee Statement for the relevant semester.

Can I get another receipt for my payment?

No - UNSW cannot issue another receipt for your records if you lose the original receipt from the entity that receives your payment.

You will be presented with a receipt at the time you make a payment, whether displayed on the myUNSW payment confirmation page (for credit card payments), a receipt number by phone (for BPay) or a printed receipt from Australia Post.

For payments made through BPay or Australia Post allow up to 72 hours for your payment to reach UNSW. Credit card payments via your myUNSW login are usually credited to your account immediately.

Following receipt of your payment, the next fee statement generated will show that your payment has been credited to your account, so you can use your fee statement as proof of payment.

Back to top