The Australian Government has announced a range of measures that will come into effect from 2021 under the Job Ready Graduates Package. The measures include changes to student contribution rates, FEE-HELP loan fees, Tertiary Access payments (TAP) and more.

Commonwealth Assistance refers to the funding of subsidised tuition and loan schemes eligible students can access, to assist in paying their tuition, student amenities fee and overseas study costs.

Commonwealth Support refers to the specific tuition type you will be charged during your program at university. If you do not have a Commonwealth supported place (CSP), you are considered Fee Paying and not eligible for subsidised tuition. You should refer to your letter of offer for confirmation of your tuition type.

Access to Commonwealth Assistance is only available to domestic students. Full details of Government schemes are available on theĀ Study Assist website. The pages below provide information on how to apply for and manage the different Government schemes that you may be eligible for at UNSW.

Commonwealth Supported Places and HECS-HELP

Important information for Commonwealth supported students.

Commonwealth Supported Programs (Postgraduate)

Limited Commonwealth supported places are available in some postgraduate programs.


Government loan scheme for eligible domestic fee-paying students to defer payment of their tuition fees.


Government loan scheme for eligible students to defer payment of the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF).


Government loan scheme to assist eligible students with cost of overseas study.

Tax File Number (TFN) verification process

To be eligible for a HELP loan, the ATO must be able to verify that the TFN and personal details submitted on your Commonwealth Assistance Form, belong to you.

Commonwealth Assistance Notice

Your Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) contains information about your enrolment and your use of Commonwealth financial assistance.

Back to top