SA-HELP is a Commonwealth loan scheme that assists eligible students to pay all or part of their Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF).

SA-HELP information booklet
All applicants are required to read and understand this SA-HELP information booklet (PDF) so that you are aware of your obligations under this scheme. Find out more on theĀ Study Assist website.


To be eligible for an SA-HELP loan, you must meet the residency requirements and have a valid Tax File Number (TFN).

For general information about SA-HELP see the Study Assist website.

How to apply

The SA-HELP application form is available in the myUNSW Commonwealth Govt. Forms section. You can apply up until the incurral date by accessing the SA-HELP form as stated above.

The incurral date is the last day that you can apply for SA-HELP and is the date after which you are deemed to have incurred the debt.

Incurral dates

Incurral dates are listed on the SSAF page.

After the incurral date has passed, the form will no longer be available for that Semester or Term, as you must complete and submit the form by the incurral date of the semester or term you wish to start SA-HELP.

The incurral date is the date in which the debt is incurred. There is no capacity under HESA 2003 to remit a SA-HELP debt incurred. UNSW will not refund this amount after the incurral date, even in cases where a student has met the remission requirements for special circumstances.

Things to note

Applications submitted after the incurral date cannot be accepted or processed. If you miss the deadline you will be liable to pay the fee for the term/semester directly to the University.

You will only be required to apply for SA HELP once for each program of study at UNSW. You will need to submit a new form if you change your program of study, or are enrolled with more than one higher education provider.

Non-Payment of fees, including the Student Services and Amenities Fee

If you have a debt to the University, you will not be issued with academic transcripts or any other official credentials and will not be permitted to graduate.

In addition, currently enrolled students will be denied the following services:

  • Examination results and course results
  • Access to campus buildings and computer labs
  • Enrolment or graduation (whichever is applicable)
  • Library Services
  • Your academic transcript or any other official documentation issued by UNSW
Back to top