International Student Visa holders wanting to transfer to another education provider before completing the first six months of their principal program, will need a Release from UNSW.
Important Note: A release request does not automatically lead to a grant of a release and approval is subject to assessment. A release is only granted under limited circumstances. Please refer to UNSW Policy on International Student Transfer Between Registered Providers and PRISMS Reporting Procedures (PDF)
You will be released if you can demonstrate one or more of the following situations:
- you are in receipt of a packaged COE and have not met the entry requirements for your principal course.
- there is evidence your course is determined to be academically unsuitable.
- there is evidence of compassionate or compelling circumstances.
- you can provide evidence that you were misled by the UNSW or appointed representative regarding the course or the University.
- there is evidence that reasonable expectations about your current course are not being met.
- an appeal (internal or external) on another matter results in a decision or recommendation to grant a release.
UNSW will not grant a release if:
- you do not have a valid unconditional offer from a CRICOS-registered provider at the same AQF level or higher (Conditional offer accepted where the only condition is requiring a release from UNSW).
- you have outstanding debt to UNSW. Debts include all fees, loans, library fines, and blocks.
- your academic progression status is suspended or excluded.
- you discontinued or withdrew from your principal program or breached other mandatory or discretionary visa conditions.
- your transfer is considered detrimental.
- you have not provided supporting documentation and a personal statement to support your reasons for a release.
Please upload the following documents with your application:
- A valid unconditional offer letter from a CRICOS-registered provider at the same AQF level or higher (Conditional offer accepted where the only condition is requiring a release from UNSW), and
- A personal statement explaining the reason(s), and
- Documented evidence supporting your reasons, If you are applying on Compassionate and Compelling please have the authorising professional complete the Professional Authority form (PDF, 200kb, 1 page).
- If you are sponsored by a government, a letter from your government sponsor confirming that they support the change.
- If you are on a packaged offer, a copy of your up-to-date transcript or the final academic transcript and the final attendance certificate.
How to apply for a release
Applications may take up to ten (10) working days to process.
Important: If your release is approved, you will be advised to proceed with discontinuing from your program. Please DO NOT discontinue prior to receiving approval.
The outcome of your request will be recorded online in PRISMS (as per Standard 7 of the National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018). Hard copy letters are no longer provided.
Students under 18 years of age
If you are under 18 years of age, you must Complete this Release Request Form (PDF, 275KB, 2 pages).
- Your parent or legal guardian must sign both your Release Request form and your personal statement.
- You must also provide confirmation that your new education provider accepts responsibility for approving your accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements.
Scan and email the Release Request form to [email protected] along with your offer, personal statement and supporting documentation as listed above.
Students with a packaged offer, including UEEC at UNSW College
If you have a packaged offer to UNSW and have not met the entry requirements, you must Complete this Release Request Form (PDF, 275KB, 2 pages).
- You must also provide a copy of your up-to-date transcript, or the final academic transcript and the final attendance certificate.
Higher Degree Research candidates
Higher Degree Research candidates must Complete this Release Request Form (PDF, 275KB, 2 pages).
Scan and email the form to [email protected] along with your offer letter, personal statement and supporting documentation as listed above.
All other international students
Please complete the following online form:
Once your request has been assessed, you will be notified of the outcome by email to your UNSW email address.