To receive educational adjustments for equitable learning support, you must first register with Equitable Learning Services (ELS). This page outlines how to register with ELS.

Once you've submitted your documents, you will be contacted by ELS via your UNSW email to arrange an appointment to be assessed by an Equitable Learning Facilitator. Please note that you won't be able to have an appointment with an Equitable Learning Facilitator until you have registered and sent your documents in.

When to register

When is the right time to register?

You must be enrolled at UNSW before you can register for educational adjustments.

You can register at any time during term if you require support. We strongly recommend all students register before the teaching session starts. If you are new to UNSW or having difficulties because of your disability, medical condition, mental illness or if you are a carer of persons with disability, register as soon as possible. 

Many of the services we provide require a significant amount of time and coordination of people and facilities across the university. Setting up exam provisions, employing note-takers, organising sign interpreters, and re-formatting textbooks are just a few examples of services that may take weeks to set up.

By registering early, your Equitable Learning Facilitator can:

  • start preparation on your requirements early
  • identify any obstacles you may face in completing your studies
  • work with you to help you overcome any obstacles.

Leaving things to the last minute will only add to your stress. The sooner you register; the sooner you will have the support you need. All appointments are free and confidential.

Documentation required

What documentation is required?

Your Equitable Learning Facilitator is unable to put services in place unless they have seen current and documented evidence confirming your disability, carer responsibilities or personal situation. A copy of the original documents will be kept on file.

This Supporting Documents Form can assist you in obtaining the required evidence about your disability or medical condition from your health professional.

What is acceptable documentation?

The documentation must state:

  • the nature and duration of your condition
  • any treatment you are receiving
  • the impact the disability or circumstances are having on your studies and exams

and must be:

  • less than two years old
  • in English
  • written on letterhead, signed and dated by an appropriate medical practitioner, specialist, professional.

If your supporting documentation is provided by an overseas practitioner and not available in English, you'll need to provide a NAATI-accredited translated copy.

Documentation can be from medical specialists, educational psychologists or other qualified health practitioners. If unsure, please contact us to check.

If you do not have sufficient documentation, please provide your health professional with a Support Documents Form to complete and return to Equitable Learning Services.

Documentation submitted to the Board of Studies (if you are a school leaver) or documents used by other educational institutions may be sufficient if less than two years old.

If your documentation is not sufficient, we will contact you to advise you to submit additional evidence of your disability.

Important note:
Documents sent to the University Admissions Centre (UAC) with your university application are not forwarded to UNSW. Your Equitable Learning Facilitator does not have access to any of the documents you previously supplied to UAC or the Board of Studies, or to any supporting documents you submitted when you accepted your UNSW offer.

You need to provide us with a complete set of professional documents showing evidence of your disability or personal circumstances when you register. The original documents must be available on request.

Registration form

Online registration form

When we have received your documentation, it will be checked by an Equitable Learning Facilitator. If your documentation is not sufficient, we will let you know, and you may need to provide more detailed information. If your documentation is sufficient, we will arrange a time for you to speak to one of our Equitable Learning Facilitator regarding your educational adjustments.

Back to top