Below you will find answers to some commonly asked questions. If you have any further questions, please CONTACT US

What is a disability?

It’s not uncommon for some people to discover they have a learning difficulty or medical condition while at university. ‘Disabilities’ is a broad term used to cover a wide range of professionally diagnosed conditions, learning difficulties, injuries, medical and mental health conditions. You may be affected permanently or have symptoms that occur from time to time. Your disability could be one or more of the following:

  • Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Anxiety disorder (including Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
  • Autism spectrum (including Asperger’s Syndrome)
  • Depressive disorder
  • Eating disorder
  • Hearing impairment
  • Learning disability
  • Medical condition
  • Neurological condition
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Physical disability
  • Psychiatric condition
  • Psychological condition
  • Psychotic disorder
  • Vision impairment

Depending on the severity of your condition, you may require long- or short-term assistance with any of the above. If we are not the best suited to assist you, then one of our staff will let you know who to contact both on- and off-campus.

If you are still unsure if you have a disability or if we can help you, CONTACT US to have a confidential chat.

What are my responsibilities?

If you are enrolled at UNSW, then you have secured a place at one of Australia’s top universities. Whatever course you are doing, there will be heavy demands on your time: studying, meeting your course criteria and completing exams. Managing your disability or condition at university can sometimes be difficult. We can support you through university so you can demonstrate your academic ability. All students, with or without a disability at UNSW:

  • must meet course requirements
  • are marked to the same standard
  • will have to undertake assessments which may include exams.

It is up to you to manage your disability and to get the most out of your studies by using the services and adjustments available to you. You will need to plan ahead, meet deadlines, read your emails and keep in contact with our team to ensure you get the maximum benefit from your educational adjustments. At UNSW, you will be looking after yourself and making your own decisions. This includes decisions about how you manage your disability.

Once I've received an Equitable Learning Plan (ELP), can I use it for the duration of my studies?

At the start of each new study period, your ELP will be auto-renewed. ELS will notify students via email that their ELP is ready for the upcoming study period. If you do not receive an email notification prior to your first class, please email [email protected] to let us know.

For some students, Equitable Learning Services (ELS) may request updated supporting documentation before auto-renewing your ELP. ELS will send you an email if you need to submit updated documentation to continue accessing an ELP. 

You should always email a copy your ELP to your course coordinators and any relevant teaching staff to ensure faculty are aware of your adjustments. It is your responsibility to ensure you complete this process. 



Can I make changes to my ELP?

Sometimes. You can submit a supplemental request if you'd like to make a quick change to your current ELP. An Equitable Learning Facilitator (ELF) will review your request and let you know if it's possible to make the change or what else might be needed. You can also book a follow-up appointment with an ELF to discuss changes in how your condition(s) are impacting your studies and what other adjustments might make things more manageable. 

I'm registered with Equitable Learning Services (ELS) and they've asked me for more medical documentation. How do I upload it?

Registered students can upload new documentation (or view/download existing documentation) in the ELS Student Portal. Please make sure your documentation meets our requirements. If you need a form for your healthcare practitioner to fill out, you can use the ELS Healthcare Practitioner Report (HPR) Form.

Back to top