UNSW is excited to offer some fantastic virtual learning abroad opportunities through our partner universities and preferred 3rd party providers. Not everyone can travel, and virtual programs allow you to participate in learning abroad without having to leave home.
What is a virtual learning abroad experience?
Virtual Learning Abroad Programs are international study opportunities offered completely online. You don’t need to travel overseas to the host institution or a company location.
Opportunities include online exchange and summer/winter schools offered by partner universities, virtual Internships and Work-Integrated Learning (WIL) programs, faculty-led virtual study tours and many other shorter experiences such as extra-curricular or not-for-credit programs.
Why should I undertake a virtual learning abroad experience?
The TOP 10 benefits of Virtual Learning Abroad:
- International experience - gain valuable global competencies, build your cross-cultural capabilities and expand your horizons by developing career ready skills
- Network - make lifelong international connections and collaborate with peers, institutions, businesses and communities from all around the world
- Flexibility – international experiences can be completed alongside your UNSW studies, work and family commitments, anywhere and anytime
- Accessibility – virtual learning abroad opportunities are available for everyone even if your personal circumstances don’t allow for international travel
- Sustainability – no air travel means less carbon emissions
- Affordability – gain an amazing international experience without the cost of travel
- Tailor your studies – take courses from different universities, across different programs , gain more than one international experience, and take advantage of extra-curricular online activities
- Recognition – many programs enable you to receive academic credit towards your degree, digital badges or you can take extra-curricular opportunities to develop your interests and skill set
- IT skills - increase your digital literacy while learning how to work effectively across cultures and countries
- Employability - enhance your resume with an international experience and stand out from the crowd!
What virtual learning abroad experiences are available?
- SHORT PROGRAMS: you can find available virtual short programs in the Learning Abroad Notices.
- EXCHANGE: some of our exchange partners are offering virtual exchange options. Find out more at Student Exchange
- Work Integrated Learning (WIL): find out more about UNSW WIL opportunities at WIL Courses & Programs
Can I receive academic credit for these courses?
Many programs are eligible for credit transfer. Your faculty will assess the program details and advise you if/where it could fit in your UNSW program and how many units of credit (UOC) it will be worth.
How do I apply?
We recommend you start your research by subscribing to the Learning Abroad Notices to receive weekly email updates on new opportunities. Think about your goals and courses you wish to take to as part of your planning.
Once you have found the experience for you and are ready to apply, follow the application instructions listed in each of the Learning Abroad Notice posts.