You can request permission to undertake study at another institution, and for that study to be counted towards your current degree program at UNSW.

You can apply to undertake cross institutional study when:

  • a. By undertaking the equivalent UNSW course when next offered, it would extend the length of your program OR
  • b. Extenuating circumstances prevent you from undertaking the equivalent UNSW course OR
  • c. The requested external study does not have an equivalent UNSW course and broadens your knowledge in your program core. 

Your application for cross institutional study will only be considered if it meets the following eligibility criteria:

  • a. A undergraduate student has successfully completed at least 72 units of credit or a postgraduate student has completed a minimum of 50% of the units of credit necessary to complete the program. 
  • b. Your academic standing is Good (except in extenuating circumstances and with the approval of the program authority) 
  • c. The requested external study counts towards your program requirements
  • d. You do not undertake more than 12 units of cross institutional study throughout your program.
  • e. You have not already been granted the maximum amount of advanced standing for your program

Things you need to know:

  • You must obtain approval from your Program Authority before enrolling at another institution
  • In addition to seeking approval from UNSW via this form, you must also submit a formal cross institutional application to the institution with which you would like to study. Be aware that acceptance is not guaranteed
  • It is your responsibility to provide UNSW with official confirmation of your result(s) from the other institution, so that appropriate transfer credit can be recorded on your UNSW student record
  • There is no charge for this application

How to apply

Submit a Cross Institutional Study Application online

Back to top