The UNSW Hero Program (UNSW Heroes) helps prepare graduates to take on the challenges imposed by a rapidly evolving workplace by equipping them with an innovative and entrepreneurial mindset, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and most importantly confidence.
The Hero Program involves a range of responsibilities:
- Attend industry and skills development workshops
- Grow your professional network of contacts and learn to improve your personal branding
- Collaborate as a cross-faculty team to identify and validate opportunities to improve the student experience at UNSW
- Attend team and mentor meetings regularly throughout the program period
- Build a prototype solution/mock-up as part of the intrapreneurship group project
- Deliver a professional presentation slide deck and pitch script that sells your innovative idea to UNSW and industry stakeholders
- Network with key UNSW stakeholders, staff and industry partners to secure yourself a paid placement or volunteering opportunity
How to get involved
The program runs twice a year in T1 and T3 and is open to all UNSW students – first years to postgrads, arts to engineers. We like diversity. Whether you're a curious mind with a flair for creativity or just an enthusiastic, eager soul looking for personal development and some fun - we want to hear from you.
Before each cohort begins the program, it will involve a mandatory orientation day, team training and industry partner workshops.
Regular mentoring and feedback sessions will be scheduled throughout the duration of the program.
The program runs 2 weeks prior to the term starting so will involve commitment during part of the holidays. The program once started, will normally be over 8 weeks but this can change slightly from cohort to cohort.
Expected commitment: You will need to achieve 24 hours of participation in order for the Hero program to be recognised on your AHEGS Transcript. 20 hours of additional community engagement volunteering can be undertaken on top of this to contribute towards the Leadership Program.
- Accredited by UNSW Advantage = Yes
(For recognition on Australia Higher Education Graduation Statement)
Availability of activity
Type of activity
Interest area / Advantages
Skills required and/or developed
Critical & analytical thinking, Cross-cultural & global citizenship, Entrepreneurship, Event & project management, Interpersonal & communication, IT & web skills, Leadership, Marketing & PR, Organisational & time management, Problem solving & practical skills, Team work & networking
Contacts and more information
For more information about co-curricular activities, see UNSW Advantage.