What is it?

The Concession Opal card allows eligible students to access fares at half the price of the Adult Opal card for travel on transport services including:

  • All Sydney Trains
  • All NSW TrainLink Intercity services
  • Light rail
  • All buses in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter and Illawarra
  • All Sydney Ferries and the Stockton Ferry in Newcastle

Please note: You must carry your UNSW student ID card at all times as proof of identity when travelling on your Concession Opal card.

Am I eligible?

According to Transport for NSW, you're eligible to apply for a Concession Opal card if you meet the following criteria: 

  • You are an Australian Citizen or Australian Permanent Resident 

  • You reside in New South Wales 

  • You are a full-time student enrolled internally (exceptions exist see below) 

  • You are enrolled in a minimum of 12 Units of Credit (UOC) per term

Eligibility exceptions

  • Where a person by reason of disability is enrolled part-time and/or externally 

Travelling outside the Opal network?

The Transport Concession Entitlement Card allows eligible students to prove their eligibility to travel on a concession fare outside the Opal network including:

  • Many rural and regional buses 
  • NSW TrainLink Regional services

For more information and contact details visit transportnsw.info/tertiary-students.


Note on eligibility for:

* International students* Students undertaking cross-institutional studies* Students with a disability

International students

If you are an International student you are not eligible for a concession unless you are in receipt of an approved Australian Government scholarship and enrolled full time.

The Australian Government Scholarships program, comprising of:

  • The Research Training Program (RTP) Scholarships, funded by the Department of Education and training for full research scholarships
  • The Endeavour Postgraduate Scholarships and Vocational Education and Training
  • The Australian Awards (two scholarship streams) funded by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade for full scholarships

Students undertaking cross-institutional studies

If you are a UNSW student undertaking cross institutional studies and your combined study load is equivalent to a full time study load you may be eligible for a concession. Please bring proof of your cross institutional enrolment to The Nucleus: Student Hub.

Students with a disability

If you are a student with a disability, studying part time, and you are registered with Disability Services you may be eligible for a concession. Please discuss this with your Disability Advisor.

How to apply

Step 1

You will be required to give your consent for UNSW to provide details of your eligibility to Transport for NSW before you can apply for your Concession Opal card. Eligible students can provide their consent through myUNSW

Eligible students travelling outside the Opal zone will also need to will also need to to apply for a Transport Concession Entitlement Card to prove your eligibility to travel on a concession fare. 

Step 2

Please allow 2 business days for your information to reach Transport for NSW, you can then apply for your Concession Opal card by visiting opal.com.au or calling 13 67 25 (13 OPAL).

Ensure that you have your student enrolment information to hand when applying and please enter your details, especially your name, exactly as they appear on your UNSW record.

Step 3

Your card will be posted to your mailing address (5-7 days after your application is completed).

You will need to activate your card when it arrives.

Answers to FAQs

I lost my card, what should I do?

If you lose your Concession Opal card, please contact Opal directly on 13 67 25 (13 OPAL).

Will variation of full-time enrolment status affect eligibility?

Variations in your study load from part-time to full-time and vice versa will affect your Concession Opal eligibility. 

UNSW 3+ Academic Calendar: Enrolment in less than 12 UOC for a term will result in the cancellation of your Concession Opal card. However, you can reapply for a Concession Opal card once you are enrolled in 12 UOC or more in the subsequent Term. 

UNSW Canberra ADFA Academic Calendar: Enrolment in less than 18 UOC for a semester will result in the cancellation of your Concession Opal card. However, you can reapply for a Concession Opal card once you are enrolled in 18 UOC or more in the subsequent Term. 

In the UNSW 3+ calendar what constitutes full-time study?

Domestic students in the UNSW 3+ Academic Calendar must enrol in a minimum of 12 Units of Credit (UOC) each term, OR a total of 36 UOC across Term 1, Term 2, and Term 3, with at least 6 Units of Credit (UOC) in each Term to be considered full-time. 

For more information on study load and UOC requirements, visit UNSW Units of Credit Requirements

My card has been cancelled, what should I do?

If your Concession Opal Card is cancelled you will need to apply for another Concession Opal card through the Opal website.

If you have any money left on your cancelled (invalid) card, you will then need to organise to have the balance transferred to your new card.

You cannot reactivate a cancelled (invalid) Concession Opal card.

Should I apply for a new card if I've transferred from another institution?

If you have transferred to UNSW from another institution you will need to apply for a new Concession Opal card in the normal manner (see above). The Concession Opal card from your previous institution will be cancelled.

I can't apply for an Opal Concession card. What should I do?

Are you receiving an error message on the Opal website like ‘Your details do not match, please contact your Education Provider’?

This error usually occurs because the date of birth and name that you have input on the Opal website does not match the records UNSW has for you. The name you provide in your opal application must match your formal name on myUNSW exactly.

Click here to see your details on myUNSW then re-enter your details on the Opal website exactly as they appear on your myUNSW record.

Make sure to input your student ID number and set your Enrolment type to ‘Tertiary Student’ and Institution Name to ‘UNSW Australia’.

If you are still unable to apply, please contact The Nucleus: Student Hub.

Where to get help


If you are unsure about your enrolment status or want to confirm that you have opted in correctly to share your information, then The Nucleus: Student Hub can help.

If you have any other questions

If you have any other questions regarding the Concession Opal card then you will need to contact Opal directly although you may want to check out the Tickets and Opal page first.


Back to top