The award of ‘with Excellence’ provides formal recognition on the testamur and academic transcript of outstanding performance in Masters (coursework) programs:
- Award with Excellence is awarded when an overall weighted average mark (WAM) of at least 80 has been achieved in all courses completed since enrolment at UNSW that are credited to the relevant award. These include courses from other UNSW programs of study for which credit has been granted and courses completed as part of a graduate certificate and/or graduate diploma that articulates to the masters;
- Courses that have been failed will also be included in the calculation of WAM;
- Courses completed on exchange or cross-institutionally will not be included in the calculation of WAM;
- The recognition of other specified levels of academic performance on the testamur for coursework masters awards is not permitted, specifically any award based on levels other than with Excellence;
- WAM is not rounded up or down for the purposes of awarding with Excellence;
- To be eligible a student must have completed at least 50% of the requirements of their award through UNSW. Students who undertake courses under exchange or other overseas study arrangements will not be disadvantaged in determination of eligibility;
- Eligible students are identified by the Program Authority when checking students for graduation. Students do not need to apply for this award;
- It is expected that all eligible programs will award ‘with Excellence’ except in special circumstances where a program authority has the approval of Academic Board for a particular program to opt out.
An award ‘with Excellence’ cannot be awarded for Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma or Masters (Extended) programs.