About the program
With a strong commitment to promoting sustainability, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) will be hosting the APRU Undergraduate Leaders’ Programme (ULP) themed Leadership for Sustainable Cities Development in 2023 to empower students to become changemakers in pursuit of building sustainable, safe, resilient and inclusive cities.
Understanding the interconnection between human activity, resource use, protecting biodiversity, decarbonisation and the interdependence between cities themselves is essential to achieve the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The APRU ULP 2023 will focus on SDG 11 Sustainable Cities and Communities. The programme will encompass a wide array of sub-themes, including environmental, social and governance; waste and resource management; carbon neutrality and energy; green transport; and smart, green and resilient communities.
Students will learn to apply design thinking principles to develop innovative and human-centred solutions to complex issues of sustainability using case studies from Hong Kong and around the world. They will gain insights and hands-on experience on the work of the social, public and business sectors in promoting the SDGs to allow them to develop a global vision in solving urban and sustainability challenges that transcend city and country boundaries in the Pacific Rim.
Full-time undergraduate students, except final year students in 2022–23, from all disciplines currently registered at an APRU member university are welcome.
Number of Participants: 5 UNSW students will be nominated to participate in the program. A total of 60 undergraduate students from across APRU member universities will participate.
- Lectures and workshops by academics, industry experts and NGO leaders
- Field trips to learn about sustainability efforts in Hong Kong
- Group projects to design innovative solutions to complex issues of sustainability in the Pacific Rim
- Eye-opening and fun-filled cultural activities to immerse in the local culture
- Social activities to make friends with peers from around the world
Scholarship: Up to 10 scholarships of HK$8,000 (US$1,020) each will be awarded to strong candidates who will serve as student leaders during the programme.
Certificate: A certificate will be issued to each participant upon successful completion of the programme.
Enrolment Type and Fees
Enrolment Type: Not for Credit
Fees: USD$550 (HK$4,350)
The provisions include the following:
- Visa application
- On-campus accommodation on shared room basis
- Most meals
- Programme materials
- Programme activities and excursions
The following expenses are not covered by the above fee:
- International travels
- Personal travel insurance
- Other personal expenses
Ready to apply?
Register your interest to be nominated for this program at http://unsw.aglobal.education/st-application by 6 March 2023. Further instructions will then be sent to you by email.
For further details:
- Visit - https://www.apru.org/event/apru-undergraduate-leaders-programme-2023/ or https://apruulp.oal.cuhk.edu.hk/
- Email – [email protected]
- Keep checking this page for more learning abroad notices and information events for short programs and exchange. Subscribe for updates so you don’t miss anything!