Untold Stories - Bonnie's story

Published: 
When everything changed earlier last year, Bonnie found herself feeling incredibly overwhelmed and riddled with uncertainty. Bonnie shares her mental health journey during COVID-19. 

Seeking mental health support

During March/April last year when there were a lot of uncertainties, I did feel overwhelmed. There were so many things that I was unsure about: When should I go back home? If I go back, when will I be able to return to Australia to continue my study? What will the job market look like when I graduate? All these uncertainties and changes related to COVID-19 added a lot of cognitive burden. 

Before the lockdown, I talked to one of the International Student Advisors at the university about time management. I felt I spent too much time reading news about the coronavirus and I wanted to get some advice on it.

The situation was manageable before Sydney entered lockdown. After that I felt more stressed and realised that I could not concentrate well to study for one of my mid-term exams. 

I decided to contact the Counselling and Psychology Service (now called Psychology and Wellness). After hearing my concerns, the psychologist I suggested options for support; to see a psychologist in my local area or attend an online cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) program called This Way Up. I chose the latter one as it is more flexible, especially during lockdown. Meanwhile, I still see the advisor once a week to chat online.

Improvements and achievements

I finished a whole program on This Way Up and talked to my advisor until the end of the first term. I gained a lot of tools from This Way Up to help me reduce my stress. Many of them are things I have learned in my psychology courses, but they feel very different when I actually practise them.

After attending the program, I started to realise how simple things, like exercise, mindfulness or gratitude, can improve my wellbeing. Also, I practised thinking more realistically, noticing and challenging some unhelpful thoughts when I felt worried. 

At the same time, I received a ton of encouragement from my advisor. Simply having someone to check in and celebrate small achievements really helped me to keep going on the right track.

Advice for fellow international students

It’s OK to not feel OK, especially this year. Spend more time every day on your physical health, as well as your mental health. Do basic stuff – exercise several times a week, eat healthy food, have enough sleep, and practise mindfulness.

And don’t forget to keep in touch with family back in your home country! I found it particularly helpful to have a video call with my family throughout the entire lockdown.

Finally, when you start to wonder whether you can handle all of this, talk to someone else. Just having someone to listen to you can be very helpful.

• Bonnie Lin, International UNSW Student

Remember it is ok not to be ok, and it is important to seek help when times are tough. If you are impacted by Bonnie’s story confidential support is available.

Back to top