Sexual Health

Caring for your sexual and reproductive wellbeing is part of taking care of your health.

Whether you are sexually active or not, it's always best to be prepared and have all of the information.

Below are some key considerations to address with your doctor and for more information about sexual health visit

Book STI Test


Are you Vaccinated against Sexually transmitted Infections (STI's)? Vaccinations prevent some STI’s such as Human Papillomavirus (HPV), which can be transmitted through skin-to-skin contact, and Hepatitis B, which is passed through infected bodily fluids.  It’s better to be vaccinated before you start having sex, but it’s better late than never.

Vaccinations are available at UNSW Health service, for more information visit


Condoms (both male and female) are the only contraception that prevent both STI’s and pregnancy. When always used according to the instructions they are 98% effective at preventing pregnancy. Other contraception can be used to prevent pregnancy and the health service has female doctors who can support you in your decision.

Family planning has some useful fact sheets about the different types of contraception’s available and it's useful to have some idea about the different options before you discuss these with you doctor

STI Testing

No one really talks about it, but sexually transmissible infections (STIs) are really common among young people in Australia. Anyone who is sexually active runs the risk of getting an STI. But the good news is most can be easily treated once you know. Find out more

Who needs STI Testing?

Sexual health testing is recommended:

· Once a year, if you are sexually active,

· When you change sexual partners, or

· If you have unprotected sex or your condom breaks.

For more sexual health information visit our resource page here

Do I need a test if I don’t have symptoms?

Most STI’s don’t have symptoms, so don’t use the absence of symptoms as an excuse. But if you do have symptoms such as burning when urinating, discharge and/or odd smells from your vagina or penis, we encourage you to book an appointment today. For more information about STI’s visit Playsafe you can also ask nurse nettie any question, especially the embarrassing ones, and a sexual health nurse will get back to you.

Where can I test?

Testing is free for Medicare and Medibank OSHC students through the UNSW Health Service and is 100% confidential. You can also test at any sexual health clinic in NSW. You can contact NSW Sexual Health Infolink to find the closest clinic to you on 1800 451 624.

What type of test do I need?

Different tests are required depending on whether you have had oral, anal or vaginal sex, but the most common test for Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea is as simple as peeing in a jar. Learn more about STI tests here

Looking for a way to get tested without seeing a doctor? Learn more about testing with CASI here


Regular sexual health checks play a vital role in maintaining your sexual health!  

Find out more about sexual health testing:

Sexual Health Tests 

Back to top