UNSW is committed to reducing our impact on the environment, which is why we’re saying goodbye to single-use plastic across campus retail dining services. We estimate that over 3 million single-use plastic items are used by retailers across Kensington campus each year which equates to around 12% of our total general waste by weight.
But it doesn’t have to be that way!
As a part of our Environmental Sustainability Plan 2019-21, UNSW Estate Management is proud to introduce Plastic Free Dining.
What is Plastic Free Dining?
Plastic Free Dining is all about achieving three major sustainability goals:
- 100% of single-use packaging recyclable or compostable
- Eliminate problematic and unnecessary single-use plastic packaging
- Reduce consumption of single-use coffee cups and water bottles
How will we do it?
- All single-use campus food packaging will be fully compostable from 2021
- UNSW students and staff are encouraged to dine in and BYO cups, containers and utensils to campus
- A new three bin system means we will now sort waste into food waste (and compostable packaging), drink containers and general waste to help us recycle better!
How can you help?
- Eat well, feel good. Dine in on campus and bring your own containers
- Get it in the right bin. Make sure you check the signs and put your waste in the right place
- Join the plastic free movement! There are many other ways you can eliminate single-use plastics in daily life